Mural at Hoover

I created a jazz ensemble mural for Hoover Music Company in Springfield, MO in 2006. When we moved back to Springfield in June, I noticed the mural was looking a little faded. I stopped in and left a note letting them know I was back in town and would be happy to touch up the mural for them. They responded the next day and hired me on.

hoover

I worked on it for a couple of hours each day to let the paint dry. I packed an old suitcase with acrylic paint (Winsor & Newton Galleria: Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, Mars Black, Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue, and Pale Umber. Golden: Cadmium Red Medium Hue and Burnt Sienna. Liquitex Basics: Raw Sienna. Liquitex: Raw Umber. Grumbacher Academy: Titanium White and Burnt Sienna), Golden Heavy Gel medium, brushes, soap, latex gloves, paper towels, palette knife, apron, hat, slippers, plastic cups, double sided tape, baking pans, palette paper, painters tape, sunscreen, Dr. Bronner’s Soap, wash cloths, and one shot sealer. I also brought a tarp, step ladder, and jug of water.

img_5975 img_2474

Day 1: I washed the mural with Dr. Bronner’s soap and water and rinsed with water. I went over all of the figures outlines with a dark gray – almost black. I painted the woman’s dress a bright red straight from the tube, but ran out of paint at the bottom.

img_5966
img_5969 img_5970 img_5971 img_5972

Day 2: I covered the red dress again to make the color a bit brighter and richer. I repainted the microphone and stand and the saxophone. I repainted the upright bass using a flat burnt sienna for the bass body.

img_5976
img_5980 img_5979 img_5978

Day 3: I repainted the guitar and put a second coat of flat burnt sienna on the upright bass.

img_5995
img_5992 img_5993

Day 4: I reworked the dark gray – almost black outline.

img_6004
img_5997 img_5998 img_5999 img_6001

Day 5: I created a medium gray and doubled the outline next to the dark gray – almost black outline. I created some shadows and curves to the red dress. I added some shading and highlights to the upright bass.

img_6015
img_6005 img_6007 img_6008 img_6009

One of the best things about being a freelance artist is that I never know where I’ll be or what sort of project I will be working on next.

Advertisements

Painting an Apron for OurHouse

It all started when…

Emily Wood Facebook messaged me – “Interested in painting an apron for the OurHouse apron auction event ?”

“Tie One On” Event

tie one on 2014

Tie One On is a live and silent auction (of aprons designed by Little Rock area artists) to benefit Our House, which is a shelter for the working homeless in central Arkansas.

I got my aprons from Emily and started working.

I used “The Lady and the Musician” linoleum block to print the patterns on each apron.

ualr6x6 24 ourhouseapron23
ourhouseapron22 ourhouseapron21 ourhouseapron20

I then mixed gesso and acrylic paint and went over the prints

ourhouseapron18 ourhouseapron9
ourhouseapron8 ourhouseapron10
ourhouseapron17 ourhouseapron15

These are what the aprons look like when worn.

ourhouseapron2 ourhouseapron7
ourhouseapron6 ourhouseapron5

I met with Emily to give her the aprons and she gave me two invitations for the event. I invited M of course!

M and I went to the event and it was super fancy! It was at Pavilion in the Park and everything was covered in Christmas decorations.

ourhouse3 ourhouse13
ourhouse11 ourhouse9
ourhouse17 ourhouse7
ourhouse6 ourhouse2

Both of my aprons sold!

ourhouse16 ourhouse18
ourhouse4